Tuesday 22 January 2013

Weeding.

We've got a new job. Rather than picking the tomatoes we're now pulling out the weeds that are stealing the tomato plants water. We're working for a different farmer and it's for an hourly rate which is like winning the lottery round here. I got chatting to a farmer in the bar on Saturday night and just thought he was trying to chat me up but turned out he genuinely
wanted to give us a job. It's tough work but our boss is great, takes us for coffee in the morning and for beers after work. Makes me wanna work hard for him and I know I'm gonna get paid. I'm gonna try and stick this out, my incentive is Queensland. I've tore a picture out a brochure and stuck it on the wall to remind me what I'm working for. Drinking a cocktail in a bar by the beach on surfers paradise (alcohol ain't allowed on the beaches of OZ) and getting over my fear
of the sea and snorkelling at the great barrier reef. Perfect.

So I've had a lovely day off today, I went shopping in the nearby town of Shepperton with Carol and Von where I got a new towel and a pillow. Was about time I bought a pillow since I've been sleeping a week without one. Usually a hostel will provide one but this one says it's an extra and wanna charge $6 for one. It's the principle I never bought one I went to K Mart instead. Shepperton is 20km from Tatura and there's no buses, we got a lift in but for the way back we thought we'd try our hand at hitch hiking. We walked to the main road out the town and just kinda stood there, looking at each other what do we do next? So the 3 of us were just kinda looking at the cars then back at each other awkwardly thinking who's gonna stick their thumb out. After 5 minutes of nothing we thought we'll head back and wait for the hostel manager to come get us. So we turned round to walk back and a car pulled up. Yes! Someone's stopped for us so we all head to the car and the men put the windows down, thinking this is weird their wearing suits.
They flashed something round their necks and all I seem was the world constable. Oh no! You ok girls? Yeah we're just waiting on a lift and thought we'd walk along. Hitch hiking is illegal in Victoria. Played dumb and we got away with it. Our first time trying it and we got caught!
Played the pub quiz in the bar downstairs and came 2nd last, which is worse than last cause the losers got a free jug. Next week we ain't even trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment