Saturday 19 January 2013

Dirty feet.

I can't remember the last time my feet were clean. That's the statement my roommate Emma just came out with and I can relate to that. It's so dusty and dry where we are its impossible not be covered head to toe in it. And the dirt here's red. So it looks even worse.
Small town Australia. That's where I am now in a wee town called Tatura. It's got one main street with a pub, a few bakers, some nick nacky shops and a supermarket. We have to start work at 6am and do the worst work in the blazing hot sun but what really makes up for it is the people in the hostel. What a fantastic mix of people we have in our group, we're really keeping each other going.
I've thought of a plan. I'm declaring a war on life and I tell you I'm gonna win this one. I know where I wanna go and what I wanna do and I'll do it. Throw what you like at me and I'll always stay upright! It sounds so cliche to say this about travelling but I've really discovered who I am and what I want. Meeting people from the world over, seeing new places and doing things I never. thought I'd do have really helped shape the new me. God I sound like a big brother reject!

I've just come upto bed from the bar downstairs where we all sat under the stars drinking beer and sharing stories of our travels and lives back home. One thing that was said and is very true is backpackers live in a different world, we scrimp and we save living in hostels and eating pasta and super noodles so that we have money for beer. The other day when we were all chilling in the hostel the local priest came in with loaves of bread and rolls, someone had donated it to the welfare and the church was giving it to us. You could say that was a low point for us being given charity bread but we were all just delighted and ran off to make toast!
You've got two types of people, people who travel and people who don't, and when you've got the bug I don't think you ever lose it.

No comments:

Post a Comment