Sunday 5 May 2013

Showies

Exhaustion ain't the word. I've worked solidly this weekend. Two days in Goondiwindi I was working in the roast beef van which I enjoyed more than the canteen. Mainly cause their trusting us a lot more now and just left me and Will too it in the van as we know what we're doing now. Today wasn't good as we were all so tired. I was up for 24hrs yesterday and got 3 hours sleep before I had to work again today. We were all abit grouchy and crabbit with each other. Courtney kept me going with our usual slating of the small town weirdos!
On the drive from Goondiwindi to St George this morning I seen my first wild kangaroo! Hopping across the road looking all cute. Steph the girl who was driving screamed 'oh fuck' as she almost hit it and I got all excited and wanted her to turn around so we could go catch it. When they hit your car a lot of the time it'll write your car off their that big.

My boss was quite upset today as their was a programme on the tv about showies and it was really nasty saying their dirty, lazy and just wanna rob you. A stereotype that's so wrong. My bosses and their family are so kind and hard working. They work 7 days a week, up at 6am everyday and work till at least 11pm on showdays. The canteens are cleaner than some of the 5 star hotels I've worked in. The rides are checked and rechecked at least 5 times before every show to make sure their safe. Most shows you get a health and safety inspector checking before they can open and food safety inspectors also come to most shows. It's their livelihoods why would they compromise on safety?
As its coming into winter now it is cold at night and Jackie bought me an electric blanket so I wouldn't be cold. She's bent over backwards to make our camp as comfortable and fully equipped as possible.
It's another judgement I myself have made in the past and I've been proven wrong. I used to think the same about backpackers!

No comments:

Post a Comment